Last month, Mia and Chloe turned 5 and began full-day Pre-K. I have had some issues with their school/teacher and have prayed so much about whether to keep them in or bring them home (it felt like those were my only 2 options). After speaking with the school's director on Friday and going through all of my concerns, I felt some relief not having it bottled up inside of me every time I went through the doors. Yesterday morning, the director came to me and told me about the great meeting they had with the girls' teacher and that hopefully things would be changing and I really feel as if things are turning around. Kevin and I decided that everyone deserves a second chance, and so that is our plan. These are my first born children we're talking about here...it's hard not to be emotional about it!
The whole new-school-thing has been like a new season to me.
Last week, Quinnlan turned 1 and has turned into her own little person with this amazing personality! She loves playing games and mimics everything I do. She will be walking any day now and then things will really get crazy! I have been weaning her this week and it has been kind of sad. I'm not necessarily sad that I will be missing nursing, even though I do love the special bond it has created between us. I know that you can still cuddle while feeding a baby a bottle---that's how I cuddled with Mia and Chloe (I only nursed them about 3 months). But, I am just sad that my baby (possibly my last depending on who you speak with in our house) is not so much of a baby anymore. I guess having older children makes you realize how quickly stages pass. I remember chomping at the bit for each new stage for Mia and Chloe. When they were infants, I couldn't wait for them to roll over, then to eat baby food, then to sit, then to eat finger food, then to stand, then to walk and talk... With little Quinnie, I'd have lived a year with her as an infant that just nursed and laid still in one spot as long as she was a good sleeper :) I didn't want each stage to end, because it could be my last---that's why people look forward to grandbabies, right!?
So, weaning and walking feels like a new season.
I am going to be 35 on Friday. From now on, I will no longer be able to check the 25-34 age box. I will be grouped with the "35-who knows what age" group... Before I know it, I will be able to get my Senior discount at Kroger on Wednesday and get AARP hotel discounts. Ugh... OK, I am being a little bit melodramatic, but I am officially in my mid-thirties now and I have no idea how I got here. I do know that the past 10 years since I was in my mid-twenties has been an adventure. No complaints here... Ten years ago, I was barely married...clueless of who I needed/wanted to be in a marriage (I had to learn that there is no I in TEAM, but did God intend for us to lose ourselves completely? I think not...) BIG learning curve for me...still learning, actually. Kevin, stop nodding :) Ten years ago, I had no children and had no idea that I would end up being the mom to 3 girls, much less a mom to multiples! I never would have thought that I would have had to go through a miscarriage that truly shaped my faith. God is awesome all the time, but when He shows up to hold us in His arms when we feel such sadness, it is life-changing. I love my life now, ten years later, with all its lumps and bumps along the way, and I wouldn't change a thing.
Having this semi-milestone birthday feels like a new season is ahead.
Lots of changes going on now and in my future...I'll choose to embrace them whole-heartedly with both arms and a smile on my face (and maybe a little wrinkle cream along the way)...

2 comments:
Greer!! That was beautiful, Love. Thanks for sharing your season. I need to hear the story about the girl's teacher.
And, I'm proud of you and the person that you have blossomed in to - beautiful on the inside and out.
Your card is in the mail, sent with lots of love and the knowledge that old friends are the best friends!!
Happy 29th Birthday!!
xoxo
Great post!!! Wow - 35 years old... that used to sound SO OLD, but now that's it's upon us we know it's so NOT old! :) Hope you have a perfect day!
Post a Comment