Recently, Mia and Chloe were working on their homework after school and I told them that if they needed any help, I could help them and when they were finished I could look over it. When they reached a math page of having to count these little dots, they both came over needing help. It was a pretty basic concept and I knew that as soon as I explained it, they would get it and go and finish the page. But, it was strange that as Mia went back to the table to finish because she understood, Chloe burst into tears saying she didn't understand. I just looked at her and asked, "Why are you so upset? Here, let me show you again." So, I did and she was being so adamant about not getting it, and I knew that this concept was not too difficult for her.
So I asked, "Chloe, are you really this upset about this math sheet or is something else going on?" and she blurted out (as tears are dripping off her sweet face onto the side table in front of her), "When I was 2, you told me not to ever play with the Gorilla Glue and when I was 3, I took it and made 3 dots on the coffee table in the playroom."
(I had to stop and let it sink in, because we went from math to Gorilla Glue in about a millisecond!)
So I asked her, "Have you been wanting to tell me about this for awhile?"
She said, "Yes and I'm sorry."
And I just had to once again scoop her into my lap and tell her that, of course, I forgave her and that she needs to NOT hold these things in. She just cried and cried and told me she wanted to show me.
OK, these 3 dots are so miniscule. They are practically under the coffee table and Gorilla Glue dries clear, so I never would have seen them.
(My mom suggested that the dots on the math worksheet probably reminded her of her "transgression"!)
That night as I went to bed, I kept thinking about the whole situation and I believe that the Holy Spirit is grooming her to accept Christ one day soon. I believe that he is showing her the feeling of conviction and she is learning from it.
I am so excited for that day when all of my girls become true believers in and followers of Jesus and ask Him to guide them in all areas of their lives.
What a beautiful day that will be...

2 comments:
Greer. I love this post. Chloe reminds me of myself. What a tender little heart and one that will be a gift her whole life through. Please squeeze that gorgeous one for me.
xoxo!
Oh my word, GREER! I just stumbled (although I know it was meant to be) across your blog. I sends chills down my spine reading this beautiful story of Chloe! Oh I can't wait to keep following. I adore your family and feel SO BLESSED that our children will be friends! It wasn't just coincidence that we are neighbors! much love, suze
Post a Comment