I am writing this a couple of days late because I really wanted to think through what I wanted to say about my 2 precious girls (and I have been nursing a cold and have had "medicine head" for the past 2 days).
I wanted to write down their birth story because it is something that gets foggier as they get older. So, this post may be a little long-winded. It is mainly for my benefit (and theirs)...
Here goes...
When I found out I was having twins at 6 weeks, I was shocked, but our reaction was that we couldn't stop laughing. The nurse that came in to check on us and to show us where to check out was even laughing because she said that reaction is pretty common.
Then when I found out we were having 2 girls, I was SO excited...I have one brother but always thought it would be cool to have a sister too, so the thought of my girls getting to have a sibling of the same gender seemed so special.
So, 5 years ago on August 10, 2004, I was waiting on Kevin to come home and take me to dinner for our weekly datenight and I was starving (Momma needs to eat!). When he finally arrived, we got in the car and started to back out of the driveway and I felt like I had wet my pants. I told Kevin to let me go inside and see what was going on...I don't know why I thought I would have wet my pants and not realized it was happening. Well, my water had broken and we called the doctor and he said to come on down to Piedmont.
It was finally really happening!
Just like my reaction to finding out about having twins, I couldn't stop laughing, which didn't help things. Kevin was cracking me up as he was running all around trying to get all of my last minute things to throw into the "hospital bag". I was sitting on a towel on the floor and every time I would laugh, it would come out more...TMI?
When we got to the hospital, it was around 8:00pm and I was still starving, but knew that now I couldn't eat anything. But, the excitement helped me not to think about it. I remember getting off the elevator at the hospital and this nice man, seeing this giant pregnant woman, was gesturing for me to go ahead of him out of the elevator. I gave Kevin this look and he knew what I meant and told the man to go ahead...I didn't want him walking behind me as I was trailing amniotic water all the way down the hallway to labor and delivery! Then the nurses at the desk wanted me to sign in and register...really?!? I am standing in a puddle here...
Once I got all set up in a room, Dr. McFarling said that he wanted to see if I could last till morning...the 12 hours after your water breaks makes your body go into fast-mode of maturing all the things that may have not been finished "cooking".
I wasn't really in any pain until around 11:00pm, when the contractions really began. When he came back in to check on me, he said that I wasn't going to make it till the morning and that these babies were coming tonight. Dr. McFarling and the nurses were telling me that because these babies were less than 5 lbs. they would be an easy vaginal delivery, but I was having none of that. I had resolved myself to a c-section from early on in my pregnancy and didn't want to have one baby vaginally and have the other baby turn breech with all the extra room and have to have a c-section also (which, by the way, I met a lady at the beach last week with 3 month old twin boys and that happened to her!). So, I had read all the books on c-sections and knew what to expect...I had not read anything on vaginal deliveries or attended any classes on it, so I just told them, "No, that is not the plan, but thanks anyway".
Around 1am, they took me to the OR and prepped me for surgery. I got my epidural and then they brought Kevin in. Kevin was my videographer and it is so amazing to see my little girls being born. It's pretty funny because they love watching it, too. Mia came out first and in the video you can see the doctor taking the cord from around her little neck. It was wrapped around twice. God was protecting our little Mia (by my insisting that the c-section was the plan)...I am so thankful. Then Chloe comes out next and they had to take her to the NICU because she was having some breathing problems. They put her on an Apnea Monitor (which we got to take home with us for 2 months) but she was fine and was able to be placed in the transitional nursery. Overall, their birth was an amazing experience and I cannot say enough great things about the doctors and nurses at Piedmont.
I have loved seeing Chloe and Mia grow into such beautiful girls, inside and out. They both have incredible personalities.
Mia is very outgoing, very independent, has never met a stranger, loves to sing and perform, loves to read and play school, loves playing princess, has amazing self-esteem, but also is very sensitive if she gets in trouble. She is an awesome "salesperson" when she wants something and it cracks me up to hear her do it to Chloe or myself or Kevin. She loves to swing and she loves to swim. When she swims, she has this great perma-grin on her face, even under the water. I love it. She is kind and full of fun...ready for the party at all times.
Chloe is a little more cautious, but is very friendly and makes friends easily. She is so sweet and helpful---she always puts her shoes/clothes/toys where they should go. She is like a Mother Hen, making sure that all is well in her little world. She is my cuddler. She would rather sit in my (or Kevin's) lap than on any chair. She loves to flip around on the floor and stand on her head. She loves bug hunting and is awesome on the monkey bars. She also loves to swim and has really gotten good at it this summer. She is my sweetpea.
My girls are funny and smart and I genuinely love being around them. I thank God everyday for blessing me with these 2 precious gifts. What an honor it is to be their mother. I pray for abundant blessings in their lives this year as they are entering all-day school and becoming more independent. I pray that the Lord will lead them to make good choices and to always follow Him.
Happy Birthday Girls! I love you SO much!
Chloe and Mia at Chuck E. Cheese for their Birthday Dinner


2 comments:
They are so precious! Can you believe how fast 5 years has gone by? Lawson is turning 5 next weekend....can't believet it! Love your "Piedmont" experience! Right there with ya!
I remember when you were pregnant at my wedding party at your parents house. From the back you could hardly tell that you were pregnant let alone pregnant with Twins. Mia and Chloe are precious girls I can't believe that they are 5 years old! Tory and I are coming up on our 5 year anniversary. Man the things that have happened in 5 years! Love ya and give the girls a hug from us!
Post a Comment